The most famous Vietnamese dish to come to the attention of people in the Western hemisphere has to be ‘Pho’, which is the national dish of Vietnam. During my recent visit, hardly a day went by without me feasting upon a hot bowl of pho as it is the perfect comfort food; warm, hearty and deliciously refreshing. Street food at its best, it is the common people’s meal. Here is my version for your delectation.
Cooking time: 35 minutes
- 175g chicken breast (skin removed) and cut into thin slices
- 450g fresh baby spinach (stalks removed and washed)
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 30ml soy sauce
- 45ml Thai fish sauce (Nam Pla)
- 1.2l chicken stock
- 15ml lemon juice
- 5ml sugar
- 1 small Thai chilli, seeded and chopped fine
- 30ml Ancient Greek Vinaigre©®
- Combine the chicken, garlic, onion, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and 1 tablespoon Nam Pla, and set aside.
- Meanwhile bring the chicken stock to simmer, add the chilli, sugar and lemon juice.
- When simmering, add the chicken and a little of its marinade and stir well.
- Now add the spinach and stir well.
- Cook for 3-4 mins or until the chicken is cooked.
- Remove from heat, add remaining Ancient Greek Vinaigre©®, soy sauce and Nam Pla.
- Serve equally in bowls.