This is a simple, flavoursome bacon and tomato sauce and is ideal to use with pasta, or as a base for pizza. The smoked bacon adds warmth and slight saltiness, which blends well with the fresh, sharper flavours of the tomato. Ale-gar©® introduces some spice, depth and richness, giving the recipe a real point of difference.
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3 rashers of smoked streaky bacon, rind removed, and chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons Macadamia nut oil
- 400g tin of plum tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of Ale-Gar©®
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil leaves
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil.
- Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes, then add the garlic.
- Add the bacon and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, basil and Ale-Gar©® and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Just add seasoning to taste.